Saturday 27 April 2013

The Right to Write and a trip to the eye clinic



Yesterday was a day of two halves. The first part I spent working for the Writers Bureau, then I had to go to the eye clinic. My mother suffered from glaucoma. As the pressure in my eyes was higher than it should be, I’ve been going to the clinic every year so that they can monitor this. Going there is always a bit worrying. Sight is such a vital sense, I have no idea what I’d do without it. The experience had a plus side though. I’ve been seeing the same doctor each time and he is completely and absolutely adorable. He’s not tall but he’s perfectly formed and his manner is just right.  This time he had good news for me. The pressure has gone down. To be honest, I’ve long thought it had some connection to the stress I’ve been under these past few years so in a way, I’m not surprised. The lovely doctor has now discharged me so I won’t have to go back again.
As part of the visit, I had to have drops put in my eyes to dilate the pupils so that the doctor could do his examinations. That meant everything went badly out of focus and I was seeing double.  It was so bad, I had no choice but to do my couch potato act. That would have been fine if I hadn’t also been tempted to raid the fridge, not just once but three times.
Today I’m having a me day. That means a trip to the local Hospice’s Spring Fair to see if I can get some more plants, then, weather permitting, some work in the garden, followed by a meal out. The meal is to celebrate having bought the flat. I’d intended to go on Wednesday which is when it all went through but after getting soaked and plunging into ‘what have I done, get me out of this’ mode, it would have been a waste of money.
Next week, I have lots to do regarding the flat. I need to get most of the painting done before the tenant moves in, plus a carpet’s being laid and I really need to think about getting the other carpets thoroughly cleaned. That will make a huge difference.
I’m working my way through Julia Cameron’s The Right to Write and it’s proving so helpful, I can’t say. If you haven’t read it, beg or borrow a copy. It’s one of the best books about writing I have ever come across. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment