Friday 10 August 2012

Swanwick!

I’m as ready as I’m going to get.
Swanwick writers summer school, that long awaited oasis is here. It seems to have snuck up on me. One minute it was months away, the next, it’s here. I had such an amazing time last year that breeds all kinds of expectations and hopes but why shouldn’t it be as good, if not better than last year? It’s certainly possible. At last I’m beginning to realise that I don’t have to be the best teacher there is, that if my classes aren’t the best anyone’s ever been to, I haven’t failed, so long as I do the best I can. I’ve been to lots of writing classes that were, frankly, not very good but people still gained something from them. I’m so delighted that sale to Woman’s Weekly came when it did as that’s really given me a boost.
The big question, or one of them anyway, is whether or not I wil have the courage to sing at the buskers evening. I love to sing but I’ve never had the nerve to sing by myself, it’s always been as part of a large group or a choir. I wanted to have a go last year but bottled out. This time, I’m taking some lyrics with me, just in case.
I actually managed to get some work done today too. I wrote my column for Writers Forum so that was good.
Marg, who’s giving me a lift, has just called to confirm when she was picking me up which was really good as that gave me one less thing to fret about. How I would get there by public transport I have no idea. The case full of books weighs a ton. I hope people buy them then I won’t have to bring them home again.
Tonight the plan is to relax, watch the Olympics, or House on DVD but I’ll probably stil be running round in circles at midnight.
I will be incommunicado while I’m away, unless I can figure out how to blog from the iPod so bye for now and if you can spare any, please send some love and good vibrations my way.Thansk to everyone who's left comments over the past few days. They are very much appreciated. If anyone reading this is going to Swanwick, introduce yourself and I might even buy you a drink.


2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time at Swanwick. Be brave and sing at the buskers evening.I know how you feel about singing alone. I belong to a choir of 80 women and love it but singing on my own is daunting. Good luck with the teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a fantastic workshop at Swanwick this morning. Punctual, professional and clear to see why you've had so much success as a writer. Very best wishes, Keith Large

    ReplyDelete