Saturday 18 August 2012

Home from Sawnwick (with news!)

I came home from Swanwick Writers’ Summer School yesterday and promptly collapsed in a heap with exhaustion.
I had a great time once I relaxed into it. My first two teaching sessions were well received but I was that happy with them. My head felt fuzzy and I felt as though I wasn’t really ‘there’. At one point it was so bad, I wanted to go home. Luckily Tuesday came along just in time. In the morning, I went shopping with Rae, who I met at last year’s Swanwick and although we didn’t buy very much, it made a break. In the afternoon, the sun came out and I spent some time relaxing by the lake. There were dozens of dragonflies and best off all, I saw a grass snake. It swam across the lake, slithered up on to some lily pads, then swam away again. It was less than ten feet away and really made my day.
I haven’t the energy to write about everything that happened at Swanwick as it would take a small book. I think the course went well but it’s not for me to say. I’ll have to wait to see what the feedback is like. Right now I’m not sure if I want to teach next year as I’d rather like to go for a holiday/break instead, but I’ll have to wait and see.
I didn’t get to sing. There wasn’t time, plus it was mainly the same set of people from last year and I wasn’t feeling strong enough to try and storm the group. It will happen one day!
I’m writing a  day by day account (Swanwick from a tutor’s point of view) for Writers’ Forum so that will explain a bit more but right now all I need to say is this – Swanwick really is a magical place. This is only the second time for me but it’s already a ‘must have’ in my calendar. Dates for next year – 10th to 16th August. Keep it free in your diary. It’s expensive but good things often are and people can always earn the money by writing fillers (see my web site books page  www.akacatherinehoward.weebly.com  or kindle (How to Make £10 in ten minutes) ).

Oh, and the GOOD NEWS! The man in my mother’s house is moving out next week. I’m not sure when exactly but as soon as I’ll know it will be on the blog, if I can tear myself away from the champagne. 




The photos show the lake at Swanwick, just yards from the accommodation, plus part of the gardens. 

1 comment: