Wednesday 4 April 2012

Thanks for calling!


The days are passing incredibly slowly at the moment. Yesterday I was crawling up the wall, desperate for somebody to talk to. It got so bad, I ended up calling the minister who’s doing the funeral service. Today I feel a bit more composed, although the time is still dragging, a matter that isn’t helped by the change in the weather. It snowed overnight but has mostly been washed away by the rain. It’s dry now but the sky’s still grey so there could be more on the way. Hear I am, bleating on about the weather, trying to get a few more seconds to go ticking past.
I had 2 calls from friends today (thanks Helen, thanks  Rae) which has been such a boost. People find it hard to know what to talk about when somebody is grieving when actually it really doesn’t matter. I’d happily talk about politics or the national debt right now, just to have a conversation.
Denis called too to tell me that I needed to speak to the insurance company about the house insurance. We had a chat about the funeral, what outfit Mum’s going to wear (I'm so glad he didn't choose her favourite - black) the refreshments afterwards and who might be going. So far, it seems that nobody from Mum’s side of the family will be there, apart from me. I’m surprised and a little disappointed, but I’m also relieved as that means there’s less likely to be any trouble.   
Tomorrow, all being well, the dogs go home, and I can clean and fumigate the house in time for the lovely Louis to arrive on Friday. Their owner wants me to look after them again for 3 days in July and again for a longer stretch in the autumn, but I really don’t want to. I feel bad about that, but I have no idea how long probate’s going to last, or where exactly I’ll be when it’s over. All I know do is that if there’s enough money left over, I want a holiday as soon as possible. I want to chill out and do as little as possible – a leisurely cruise, two weeks on the continent  or a long weekend in a comfortable hotel, whichever I can afford, I’m going to grab.
All I hope and pray is that all the legal stuff will be over, if not by my birthday (end June), by the time Swanwick comes along. I had an amazing time there last year and this time, I want to make even more of it.

1 comment:

  1. Linda - it was good to talk to you yesterday and to hear you sounding chirpier than I'd thought you might. I'm sure you'll have good days and bad days, but getting rid of the smelly dogs (have they gone now?!) and getting your lovely Louis over Easter will cheer you up, I'm sure. The weather's got a bit better here today - it's not as cold, or rainy and the sun even tried to come out this afternoon (it didn't quite manage it, bless). I've got your book now 'The Writer's Treasury of Ideas' and it's great! It looks really good too - the cover's bright and really eye-catching. I think whoever did the design and printing for you has made a really good job. I've only dipped into it so far, but I'm looking forward to a really good read very soon!

    ReplyDelete