Thursday 15 March 2012

Sale, sale, sale!



Definitely an OK day today as it started with a story sale to Australia
$400 Australian dollars for 600 words which can’t be bad. The funny thing is that I came to write the story as a direct result of reading my own book – The Writer’s treasury of Ideas. As I checked the text, the part about dates and anniversaries suddenly gave me the idea of writing something about the Titanic. As it was February and far too late to sub to a UK magazine (the anniversary of the sinking is in April), I thought I’d try it on Oz as they sometimes have a very fast turn round which proved to be the case.
After that, I finished my Writers Forum column and sent it off. It’s not my usual column as it looks back over the past year and mentions my depression and so on. I hope the editor thinks it’s OK as I usually try to motivate and inspire readers. We’ll have to wait and see.
This afternoon I went to Writers in the Rafters, a group that has been meeting since last year and which, even having gone into my local library several times, I knew nothing about. I was mean to talk to them for thirty minutes but with all the questions, we over ran rather. I may well go back next month, as a member, as they only meet once a month so it’s not too much of a burden. Will have to wait and see what comes along.
I asked if they would put up a poster to advertise the weekend course I’m teaching in Leeds in November and they said they would, so that was good. I really want the course to be full so that the organiser is encouraged to run some more.
When I got home, the lady who owns the dogs I’m looking after from the 24th called to ask if I could take them on Monday, overnight, as she has to go to a funeral. I didn’t really want to, but she’s such a nice woman and it will give me a test run with all the medication the dogs are on!
I was out last night at a Spice Quiz and had a great time, even though my team didn’t win (we came second). I haven’t laughed so much in ages.
That, plus this afternoon, going out and meeting new people, has made me feel very tired so I’m going to turn the pc off now and go and crash out until bed time.

1 comment:

  1. Laughter is great medicine and well done on the sale to Oz xx

    ReplyDelete