Wednesday 28 September 2011

One of THOSE days

Yesterday was one of those frustrating days when you feel as though you take two steps forward and three steps back. I planned to enter the SWWJ memoir competition, worked on my entry then found I couldn’t enter it because I’d self published my autobiography. I should have thought about that sooner. Then I started the long and complicated process of uploading my novel for a publisher who said they wanted to publish it only to find that the only categories I could list it under were non fiction. I’ve emailed to see what they say, but, being paranoid, I’m already assuming they hadn’t actually bothered to read the book and assumed from the title that it was factual.
I saw my therapist too after a break of three weeks. I get the feeling she’s losing patience with me, or more likely, that I’m losing patience with me. I can’t seem to do what she tells me to do. I’ve come to the conclusion that being successful and happy scares me. I’ve grown used to being miserable and getting by, that the possibility of change scares me rigid. I really do have to work on that.
Other things happened to, some of which I can’t be bothered to put down on paper. Most annoying of those was Woman’s Weekly rejecting a story as having no surprises when I’d totally changed the ending that they’d previously said had no surprises. I will sell them stories again soon. I will…

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    If it's any consolation, I've come to the conclusion that 'no surprises' is now WW’s standard rejection statement (you've had it, I've had it - more than once - Patsy Collins has had it). It doesn't make sense to me a lot of the time, as they accept stories of mine that don't have any more 'surprises' than the rejected ones. I suppose it saves them giving any more explanation. It is annoying though, I agree!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete