Friday 11 March 2011

THE LETTER


I feel as though I’ve been kicked in the stomach. Devon Social Services have finally written to me. In short, my mother is now so badly affected by dementia, that they will take over Mum’s affairs unless I do.
In 2000 I took out Enduring Power of Attorney so that if my mother became incapable of managing her financial affairs, I could take over.
The problem is, how do you do that when you are three hundred miles away AND the person she lives with, her 84 year old carer, hates you and won’t cooperate with you in any way?
I called the person who wrote the letter and asked, if I did activate the EPA would I be able to get any help and support from Social Services? The short answer was no.
As I can’t see a way to deal with Mum’s affairs without their help. It seems  I’m left with only one answer to the problem - let them take over.
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment