Wednesday 23 February 2011

Fiction Feast and Heydays

Wednesdays are my day off. I go to the West Yorkshure Playhouse Heydays group - a mix of courses available to the over 55s (just made it!). Thanks to the 35, yes 35, calls from Mum yesterday I became ill with the stress so had to come home at lunch time. Got home to a hot debate among the Diamonds and Pearls contributors (www.accentpress.oc.uk) about late payments at Fiction Feast and how payments haven't gone up much for years, if at all.
I sold my first story to TAB in 1998 for £400 and I STILL get the same now. Sadly, if we make a fuss, we risk having another market  close its doors. I get paid a lot less for my WW stories than other writers because I don't sell as many to them. Is that fair? Maybe not, but I'm not going to complain. I make a living doing this. I can't afford to upset people. Apparently there's a move to change things, start sending in invoices and so on because payments sometimes come through late. My feeling is that Norah McGrath does the best she can and I for one don't want to make her life more difficult.



No comments:

Post a Comment